November 20, 2010

So...this happened ...

I have accepted a job at Hillsborough Community College in Tampa, Florida as the Manager for their new Off-Campus Credit program at the Brandon Community Advantage Center (BCAC). I'd share details on the space but the website has been "down for maintenance" since before the position was posted. I hope this is not a bad sign.
This is quite the big deal in the local area and as a Brandon resident (and homeowner) I am interested beyond the employment opportunity and career shift. I live less than five miles from the facility and shop at the stores it overlooks. Local politicians and civic groups have been involved in the development and building of this facility and will continue to be involved after it is open for business. Here are some links to items of interest:
  • Article from the local paper = Site Secured for Brandon Civic Center. This is from 2008 --- before I even moved here. 
  • Here is an article from 2007 (two-and-a-half years ago) providing some back story. 
  • This is an article from about a year ago = After Years of Planning, Brandon Cultural Center Takes Shape.
  • Photo album from local news blog showing the construction. I have not actually been inside the facility but it is further along than these pictures suggest. I dropped by the site recently and the flooring crew was working. 
  • But it has not been a completely smooth project -- earlier this year (with the building half done) there was the possibility of funding being pulled
  • The official page from the Community College Facilities Planning and Construction folks. Not much here but it shows the building further along. Note the lack of windows -- the building is supposed to be designated a hurricane shelter - but that is apparently being negotiated
Part of the job is going to be connecting with the local community groups who supported this project from the get-go and who will be instrumental in making it successful. Among these are the Brandon Chamber of Commerce. One name that keeps popping up is Ron Pierce and one of my first orders of business will be to meet him and learn what his personal vision is for the BCAC. 
One individual I am looking forward to contacting is Ernest Hooper, a columnist for the St. Petersburg Times. He is a local resident and proponent not only of this project, but also a true cheerleader for the local area. I never miss reading one of his columns. Here is one of his articles from a Q&A with the Director of a local arts facility where the BCAC is mentioned.
The overall area is being developed by Taylor Morrison developers and is part if the Winthrop Town Center and master plan. Here is a link to the marketing brochure in PDF. Check Page 4 and look to the lower right corner for the location on the BCAC. All I know is that Five Guys has a location in the Winthrop Town Center along with a Green Iguana.


So ... what is this job of which I speak. That's still a little up in the air. The position positing to which I applied read as follows:
The position manages and oversees off-campus courses at the Brandon Community Advantage Center for students unable to attend traditional on-campus classes. The key job responsibilities will include: (1) coordinates student enrollment and registration and (2) assists in hiring instructors. Prefer applicants with: supervisory experience in a higher education environment and the ability to work independently with little supervision.


That's it --- the entire job posting. I have seen Craigslist postings with more detail. But the idea of working away from a main campus and the necessity of having the ability to work independently caught my attention. So I did a little digging and came up with the information linked above and then some. After I was invited to interview I chatted with the Dean the position reports to and she filled in some of the gaps.


This facility (BCAC) will be a joint use project, with HCC having 6 classrooms on the lower level. Four of the classrooms will be used for for-credit instruction (day, evening and Saturday morning classes) … the other two will be used for non-credit, continuing education (managed by the HCC Center for Continuing Education). The manager will supervise a full-time Senior Staff Assistant and a part-time Technician who will cover the evening and Saturday morning hours; he/she will report to me, but will be responsible for the successful operations of the center. 
In some ways, the center will operate as a mini-campus, with the manager eventually responsible for scheduling classes per the community needs. This will include the recruiting, hiring and evaluating of faculty, budget management, facilities management/maintenance, community outreach and student recruitment. 
Students will use the support services at the Brandon campus, but much can be done online (class scheduling, financial aid, textbook purchases).
The manager will need to be able to work in a changeable environment and with ambiguity since it will take a bit of time to determine what will be successful, course offering-wise … exceptional organizational and communication skills will be essential. The manager will also need to be comfortable with technology, as we will have two computer classrooms, as well as instructor stations that use presentation technology … and, the ability to learn and use out Datatel system for scheduling, staffing, purchasing, budget control. 


Wow! The Dean had me at "changeable environment" and "ambiguity" ... I mean, how often does such vernacular creep into conversations about higher education projects? I think I may have found THE perfect job for my personality and skills as this will allow me to flex my autonomous business muscles while knowing that I have the backing of a larger entity. I can use the skills I have learned and developed through both my undergraduate degree and my graduate degree along with my various professional positions within higher education and student services --- and of course the fact that I have co-created and managed my own moderately successful business venture. Anyway --- the purpose of this blog is to track this adventure. Mostly for my own benefit, but if others find it and find it useful they are welcome to join the conversation.



No comments:

Post a Comment